Dressing for your maternity session
If you have a maternity session coming up you might be browsing online in search of a special outfit. I have a selection of dresses and fabrics available for your use but you may wish to buy your own. There are a few things I look for in a maternity dress. I love a timeless piece that is not too trendy which can be used again and again. I personally like dresses that suit many body types and body sizes such as an empire waist gown. Beyond that I love dresses in every colour, some very simple and some very ornate and puffy tulle gowns. The fun thing about maternity photography is that it doesn’t really matter what you wear. Gorgeous images can be created with a simple scarf, only a pretty necklace, nothing but a bouquet of flowers or even just a big hat. Maternity images can range from classic nudes to elaborate puffy dresses.
For some people, choosing a maternity gown is like a scaled down version of buying a wedding dress. Moms often like to purchase something they will use for a baby shower and for their photos. If you are interested in shopping for a specific style here are a few dress shops that are widely used in the photography industry.
Mii Estilo – Netherlands
Mii Estilo has a huge selection of gorgeous dresses that range from simple and classic to puffy princess gowns. I have a long wishlist of maternity items from Mii Estilo and I’ll list some of my favourites here.
- I LOVE the Convallaria Dress in Sand for it’s classic feminine look. I love this dress because it would look great on any body type and would also be perfect for post pregnancy newborn sessions or a mommy and me photoshoot.
- For the mom’s looking for the perfect lace BOHO dress I love the BOHO Turino. It’s one size fits all so would be great for a variety of body types and for non- maternity sessions too.
- If you want something with tulle and a bit more glam I like the Calendula dress.
- Or opt for a simple black bodysuit Mirabillis Bodysuit Black.
Katharina Hakaj Couture – Germany
If you want something truly unique and one of a kind then Katharina Hakaj is the place to look. Her dresses are exquisite and over the top. She creates maternity and mommy and me gowns that are so beautiful. Here are the ones I love the most. If you want one of these pretty dresses though you might want to start saving! Dress #1 on the list will cost you $812 plus customs.
- Roxy – Long flowing and ruffled gown. This dress is ultra feminine and romantic.
- Serena Sleeve Haute couture. Soft and feminine with the feel of a vintage nightgown.
- Another soft and flowing tulle gown is the Swan maternity gown.
- The Flamingo maternity gown is another favourite from this shop.
AR Backdrops Maternity and Newborn Props
I love this shop for maternity accessories and dresses as well as newborn backdrops. They have a variety of alternatives to dresses such as sparkly capes and jewel dotted capes. So many great pieces here! I love that many of these items are great for non maternity too.
- Crystal Shawl is such a gorgeous alternative to a dress if you want to try something a bit sexier. If you aren’t comfortable with as much skin this would look gorgeous over a thin strapped white dress too.
- Elizabeth Cape, another sheer alternative to a dress which is stunning for maternity boudoir.
- I love the Caroline Kaftan loose fitting gown because it could fit a variety of body types and would work for boudoir and non maternity as well.
- I LOVE the colour and material of this silky sheer Julianna dress
- I love the red Melody Velvet bodysuits worn on their own or paired with a long scarf or tulle fabric.
Silk fairies makes pretty and traditional maternity gowns that are special enough for a party or photo shoot.
- Long sleeve long flowing lace gown. Rhetta Gown.
- Long sleeve flowing gown. Anwen Gown.
- Nahim Gown.
- Aurora dress.
Lemon and Pearl Design– Monika Serek Design
- This simple and fancy body suit is gorgeous on it’s own or with tulle. Body with Tulle Suspenders.
- I love this big puffy tulle gown full of drama and glam. Tulle Glamor Dress.
- These elegant long sleeve tulle gowns are a great options for any body type and can be photographed in a variety of ways.
Sew Trendy – Utah
Sew Trendy is an industry staple with tons of dresses to choose from. Their styles are simpler and more typical than the dress shops listed above but there are advantages too. Sew trendy dresses are stretchy so they fit a variety of sizes. The dresses come in so many colours and styles you are sure to find something that you like or that goes with a theme you have in mind. These dresses have also been used by so many photographers that you know you will get something that fits and works well. Here are a few of my personal favourites.
- Classic black dress- Layne Gown. A timeless staple that looks good on anyone and that you will wear more than once.
- Stretchy but with the drama of a full tulle mermaid skirt- Jacqueline Gown.
- The sweetheart neckline, empire waist and long sleeves of the Brady Gown makes this a flattering and glamorous dress that would suit many body types.
- The Carolynne Gown is glam and classic with a modest neckline for moms who want more coverage, but with an open back.
Chicaboo is another industry staple like Sew Trendy. The dresses are more affordable than some of the first listed and are usually thick stretchy material that can fit a variety of body types. They offer dresses you could wear to events and parties and some that are specifically for photoshoots. Some dresses are sold in parts so read the descriptions carefully.
- I love this jewel tone off the shoulder green velvet gown- Juniper Green Velvet.
- Black Onyx- Off the shoulder stretchy dress with oversized tulle train.
Before and Ever Couture (Formerly Shades of Love)
Before and ever is the dress hop by Jade Gao who also creates shades of drops backdrops and all the gorgeous headbands from Lelas prop shop. Her dresses are gorgeous and I want them all BUT the dresses are only released for sale periodically through the year and there is a long wait time so these are great pieces to add to your client closet but are probably not great if you need the dress soon. The website is shut except for the day you can purchase so get into her facebook group if you want to see what she has to offer.https://www.facebook.com/groups/Shadesofjade.shop
Some of my favourite dresses from Jade are the Kaftan, shine like a diamond and Big Flower.
Maternity Accessories Etsy
- Maternity crown with gold spikes
More to come…